Illinois women’s track and field wins by double digits at NIU meet

Brian Bauer

Illinois’ Kristina Kladar takes part in the 800 meter run in the Illini Open meet at the Illinois Track Stadium on Wednesday, May 4.

By The Daily Illini sports staff

After winning eight out of 12 total events, the Illinois women’s track and field team secured a victory over NIU 67.5-50.5.

Illinois’ Jayla Stewart was one of the major standouts from the meet. She won both the 60 meters and the 60 meter-hurdles. Stewart is no stranger to success, as she also competed in the same two events in the Big Ten Championships last season as a freshman.

Aside from Stewart, the Illini saw eight different freshmen make their debuts at NIU.

Stewart aside — other individual titles came from Kandie Bloch-Jones (high jump), Briana Driver (long jump), Kristina Kladar (800 m), Chisom Nwoko (600 m) and Sarah Madsen (1,000 m).

Following their big victory, the Illini will have some time to recover and prepare before their next event in Iowa City, Iowa. The meet will not take place until Jan. 7, in the annual “Border Battle” with Iowa and Missouri. Illinois won the event last year.

@di_sports