Illinois women’s gymnastics defeats Michigan State on Senior Night

Quentin Shaw

Erin Buchanan competes on bars against Michigan State in Huff Hall on February 17.

By Danielle Williams, Staff writer

Hit. Land. Dismount.

These are the words the Illinois women’s gymnastics team want to hear when competing in meets.

Seniors Erin Buchanan and Sarah Lyons demonstrated this throughout their careers at Illinois, and the pair were honored with a Senior Night celebration after taking on Michigan State.

The Illini came out on top against the Spartans 196.550-194.025.

It was a night full of career and season-highs for the Illini.

“We did well as a team,” said freshman Rae Balthazor. “We picked it up after vault. We still have some work to do.”

The team started off in the lead on vault with Lizzy LeDuc posting a 9.825, giving her the event title. Balthazor marked a career-high with 9.775. Mary Jane Horth followed their lead with a 9.725.

The Illini rounded out with a score of 48.700.

The uneven bars was a different story for the Illini.

“After vault, they knew that they could be better,” said head coach Kim Landrus. “We had a lot of work put in this week during practice. They trusted their gymnastics, put everything out from the gym and ended with a season-best.”

LeDuc fell during the beginning of the Illini’s second rotation on bars, scoring a 9.100. Balthazor kept up the momentum she had and scored 9.900 — the highest score on bars this season by an Illini.

Buchanan tied her career-high of 9.850 and Lyons posted a season-high with a 9.850.

“Winning the title felt awesome,” Balthazor said. “A lot of us put so much work in the gym, and it’s fun to have it show.”

Illinois marked a season-high with 49.225 on bars. By the third rotation, the team kept its lead by more than a point.

Junior Bridget Hodan led the Illini on beam, earning a 9.925 — a career-high. Horth followed behind with confidence and matched her career-best of 9.900.

“Hodan’s performance was one of the performances that stuck out the most,” Landrus said. “She led us on beam again and was phenomenal. She had a great floor as well. Couldn’t be more proud of Bridget.”

Illinois posted another season-high 49.375 on beam, matching the third-highest score in program history.

The Illini finished off strong on their final rotation with a season-high for floor 49.250.

LeDuc landed the floor title with her 9.925 and posted a season-high. Hodan hit another career-high and Buchanan earned her season-high with both of the gymnasts scoring 9.875.

“Buchanan and Lyons mean so much to our program,” Landrus said. “To see Erin end the night on the floor with a season-high performance was phenomenal. Sarah started us off on bars after our vault rotation and just did a phenomenal routine. I couldn’t be more proud, and it was just a great way to end it in Huff.”