Women’s golf finishes seventh at Big Ten championships

The+Illinois+womens+golf+team+will+head+to+Cincinnati+this+weekend+for+the+Big+Ten+championship.+

The Illinois women’s golf team will head to Cincinnati this weekend for the Big Ten championship.

By Gavin Good, Assistant sports editor

The Illinois women’s golf team finished the first round of the Big Ten championships in seventh place, and the Illini remained in that spot when the final ball was struck.

Two individuals managed top-25 finishes, as junior Chayanid Prapassarangkul and freshman Swing Liu tied for 21st, each shooting 1-over-par for the final round and 9-over for the tournament at TPC River’s Bend golf club in Maineville, Ohio.

During the final round, Prapassarangkul sank an eagle on the eighth hole — a par 5 — as well as two birdies. Liu turned around a 4-over tally on the front nine, finishing the round with four birdies on the back nine.

Illinois’ team scores improved slightly over each round. The team shot a 304 in the first before going on to shoot a 303 and a 301 in the second and third rounds, respectively. However, the scores did not improve enough to climb the leaderboard.

Sophomore Bing Singhsumalee finished 14-over for the event, good for a tie for 35th after shooting 5-over in the last round of action Sunday. Junior Grace Park followed, tying for 43rd after finishing at 17-over for the tournament. The San Jose, California, native shot 6-over during the final round.

Junior Dana Gattone took 48th place with a score of 19-over for the tournament and finished Sunday’s round 6-over. Senior Stephanie Miller rounded it out for the Illini, shooting 10-over the final round to finish in a tie for 61st at 25-over for the event.

The Illini will now await word on whether they make the NCAA Regional field. The selections will be announced Thursday at 10 a.m. and can be seen on the Golf Channel. Additionally, it will be streamed live on the Golf Channel’s website.

If selected, Illinois could travel to any of four golf courses across the country, ranging from Albuquerque, New Mexico, to Greenville, North Carolina, to Lubbock, Texas, to Columbus, Ohio — Big Ten foe Ohio State’s home course.

@itsallG_O_O_D