IOTW: Poulter uses music and film to balance out volleyball

Illinois setter Jordyn Poulter (1) tips the ball during the match against Purdue at Huff Hall on Friday, October 6. The Illini lost 3-0.

By Christian Evans, Staff writer

Since high school, Jordyn Poulter has been a force on the volleyball court.

During her time at Eaglecrest High School in Aurora, Colorado, she led the team to four consecutive top-eight finishes, including third place in the state in 2013.

Poulter was also the No. 3 recruit in the nation according to PrepVolleyball.com’s “Senior Aces” list and won the 2014 Andi Collins Award, which is given to the best high school setter in the nation.

In her first year at Illinois, Poulter showed she deserved both accolades.

Poulter’s achievements during her freshman year included Illinois Female Newcomer of the Year and Big Ten All-Freshman team.

Sophomore year she only improved more, earning American Volleyball Coach’s Association and PrepVolleyball.com All-America Honorable Mentions, along with making the All-Big Ten team.

This year Poulter is averaging career highs in assists per set at 11.08 and digs per set at 2.56. She also has six double-doubles so far this year, compared to 10 combined in her first two years.

While Poulter has had a great career at Illinois as a volleyball player, she said she has other things in life she enjoys as well.

“I enjoy playing music outside of volleyball,” Poulter said. “I play the guitar and the piano. That helps take my mind off volleyball sometimes whether it is good or bad. It is just a nice escape.”

Poulter played the guitar in high school, but did not pick up piano until her freshman year at Illinois.

“Freshman year was the reason I started trying to learn how to play the piano,” Poulter said. “It was something to take my mind off of volleyball and being new as a freshman.”

She played the piano at the Ikenberry Commons, where there is a piano room that students can rent for an hour at a time.

Poulter also currently majors in film and cinema studies. She said her role as a setter in volleyball relates to why she chose her major.

“Eventually I’d like to produce films,” Poulter said. “Being a setter in volleyball, you kind of create things out of nothing and I think creating films and making music is really fun.”