Touchdown Times: Indiana

Quentin Shaw

Illinois running back Kendrick Foster weaves around the defense during the game against Wisconsin on Saturday, Oct 28. The Illini lost 10-24.

By Tatiania Perry

Matchups

Illinois offensive line vs. Indiana defense

The offensive line has been a problem area for Illinois all season, but on Dads Weekend the unit may be presented with a chance to shine against Indiana. Despite being ranked 111th in rushing offense, Kendrick Foster may be able to find some holes in an Indiana defense that gave up 183 yards to Wisconsin’s Jonathan Taylor. Taylor broke loose for a 45-yard gain early in the Badgers’ 45-17 win over the Hoosiers. In the second half, he got free again and scored on a 32-yard touchdown run. If the offensive line gets Doug Kramer back at center, then Christian DiLauro can shift back over from guard to tackle. Illinois might finally have the health and cohesion to be able to have a dominant game on the ground. Additionally, if Ra’Von Bonner returns from his concussion, or if Reggie Corbin can bounce back from his unknown injury, then Kendrick Foster will have the help he needs. The team can then establish some rhythm in a ground game that has been mostly fruitless since freshman Mike Epstein’s breakout season ended due to injury. However, if the offensive line can’t put it together for a complete performance, Illinois fans may leave Memorial Stadium disappointed.

Indiana running backs vs. Illinois defense

Illinois has struggled to contain opponents’ running backs this season, coming into this week’s contest against Indiana tied for 108th in the FBS in rushing defense. The Illini are allowing 400 yards rushing through nine games this year, and will likely have to bring that total down considerably to have a chance to knock off the Hoosiers on Saturday. Without Tré Watson and Julian Jones as linebackers, the Illinois linebacking corps has had difficulty in shutting down opposing teams’ rushing attempts. Watson had knee surgery and his timetable for return is unknown. Jones is also suffering a knee ailment of his own. Despite the leadership of Del’Shawn Phillips, who leads the Illini with 65 tackles, the linebacker position is one where injured talent has affected productivity. Additionally, a relatively inexperienced defensive line has not been able to halt opposing teams’ run threats. The defense has combined for 39 tackles for loss on the season, which sees them ranked No. 117 in the FBS for that category. Behind the Illini, in 118th, is Charlotte of Conference USA who just earned its first win of the season in a 6-0 defeat against Old Dominion. This gives one an idea of where the Illinois unit stands. To find itself still in the game when the fourth quarter comes around, the Illini defense will have to put together a far more complete performance than it has in any game so far in Big Ten play.

Statistical Leaders

Passing Yards Rushing Yards Receiving Yards Tackles Takeaways Sacks
Illini logo Jeff George Jr.: 1,112 yards on 155 attempts Ra’Von Bonner: 202 yards on 67 carries Ricky Smalling: 415 yards on 25 receptions Del’Shawn Phillips: 65 tackles (32 solo, 33 assisted) Bennett Williams: 2 forced fumbles, 1 interception Bobby Roundtree, James Crawford: 3 sacks
Indiana logo Peyton Ramsey: 1,252 yards on 205 attempts Morgan Ellison: 490 yards on 106 carries Simmie Cobbs Jr.: 662 yards on 59 receptions Tegray Scales: 76 tackles (47 solo, 29 assisted) Tony Fields: 1 interception, 1 forced fumble Tegray Scales: 5 sacks

Did you know?

Illinois has continued its trend of youth playing the bulk of the minutes, and the program still leads the country in cumulative freshman starts with 60. This total nearly doubles the program’s 1977 record of 34. Illinois has also started the most true freshman in the nation as well, with the total of 15 easily surpassing Baylor’s 10 true-freshmen starters. Including redshirt freshmen, Illinois has now played 32 freshmen this year.

History

When Illinois and Indiana clash in Champaign on Saturday, it will be the two programs’ 71st all-time meeting. The Illini have historically gotten the better of the Hoosiers, boasting 45 wins compared to 23 for the Hoosiers. The two teams tied in 1900 and again in 1911, both in scoreless deadlocks.

Schedule

Illinois:

9/2 Ball State – W (24-21)

9/9 Western Kentucky – W (20-7)

9/15 South Florida – L (47-23)

9/29 Nebraska – L (28-6)

10/7 Iowa – L (45-16)

10/14 Rutgers – L (45-16)

10/21 Minnesota – L (24-17)

10/28 Wisconsin – L (24-10)

11/4 Purdue – L (29-10)

11/11 Indiana – 11:00 AM

11/18 Ohio State – TBA

11/25 Northwestern – TBA

Indiana:

8/31 Ohio State – L (49-21)

9/9 Virginia – W (34-17)

9/16 FIU – Canceled

9/23 Ga Southern – W (52-17)

9/30 Penn State – L (45-14)

10/7 Charleston So – W (27-0)

10/14 Michigan – L (27-20)

10/21 Michigan State – L (17-9)

10/28 Maryland – L (42-39)

11/4 Wisconsin – L (45-17)

11/11 Illinois – 11:00 AM

11/18 Rutgers – TBA

11/25 Purdue – TBA

Eye on the enemy: Tegray Scales

Tegray Scales started all 12 games for the Hoosiers as a true freshman totaling 46 tackles, two sacks and three interceptions. At the end of the season he was awarded All-American Freshman. Scales finished his sophomore season with 53 tackles, three sacks and two interceptions. In his junior season he was selected as the Foster Farms Bowl Defensive Most Valuable Player at the Foster Farms Bowl after finishing that season with 123 tackles, seven sacks and a single interception. On Nov. 29, 2016, Scales was named Third Team All-Big Ten by the coaches and Second Team All-Big Ten by the media. Given the choice to go to the draft or return for another season, Scales returned to Indiana.

Eye on the Illini: Kendrick Foster

After being displaced as the starting running back by Mike Epstein early in the season, Kendrick Foster has returned to the role. As the Illini’s only healthy scholarship running back last week at Purdue, Foster put up the most production he has all year. He was active on the ground as well as in the passing game, running for 73 yards on 17 carries and catching two passes for 46 yards. He broke off a 33-yard gain at one point, and Illinois will rely on the senior Peoria native on Saturday once again. Regardless of who else is healthy, Foster has proven he can make a positive impact in the Illini backfield, so expect more of it against the Hoosiers.

Big Ten Weekend

Indiana vs Illinois – 11:00 AM

Rutgers vs Penn State – 11:00 AM

Michigan State vs Ohio State – 11:00 AM

Nebraska vs Minnesota – 11:00 AM

Iowa vs Wisconsin – 2:30 PM

Michigan vs Maryland – 2:30 PM

Purdue vs Northwestern – 6:00 PM