Frazier, Black earn Big Ten honors

Illinois guard Trent Frazier celebrates after hitting a three during the game against Purdue at the State Farm Center on Thursday, Feb. 22. The Illini lost 93-86.

By Gavin Good, Assistant sports editor

Illinois guard Trent Frazier and forward Leron Black each earned Big Ten honors on Monday ahead of the start of the Big Ten Tournament.

Frazier was named to the Big Ten All-Freshman team and both him and Black earned an All-Big Ten Honorable Mention.

Frazier led all Big Ten freshmen in points, 3-pointers, assists and steals over the entire season and the conference season. He averaged 12.5 points per game (14.1 in conference), 3 assists per game, 1.9 3-pointers per game and 1.6 steals per game.

The Wellington, Florida-native was named Big Ten Freshman of the Week on Dec. 26 and Feb. 12, and he also was second in steals throughout conference play (1.7 steals per game).

He hit seven 3-pointers on two occasions in Big Ten play against Iowa on Jan. 11 and Wisconsin on Feb. 8. Against the Badgers, Frazier put up a career-high 32 points.

Joining Frazier on the team are Maryland guard Bruno Fernando, Michigan State’s Jaren Jackson Jr., Ohio State’s Kaleb Wesson and Brad Davison from Wisconsin.

Black earned his honorable mention after leading Illinois in scoring (15.7 per game), rebounding (5.3 per game), field goal percentage (.552) and 3-point field goal percentage (.524) this season.

The redshirt-junior scored in double digits in 26 games this season, including 13 of the last 14, and he scored at least 12 points in 16 of 18 conference games.

The Memphis, Tennessee-native scored 20 or more points in seven games and became the first Illinois player in the last 15 years to have four-straight games with 20 or more points during the Big Ten slate.

He set a career-high of 28 points on Feb. 18 at home against Nebraska, and then repeated the feat against Purdue on Feb. 22 in the home finale.

The Illini will open Big Ten Tournament play against Iowa at 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday.

@itsallG_O_O_D