Illinois alumna wins fifth Boston Marathon

McFadden+accepted+the+honor+of+being+this+year%27s+Homecoming+Grand+Marshall.+
McFadden accepted the honor of being this year's Homecoming Grand Marshall.

Brenton Tse

Brenton Tse

By Eli Schuster, Sports Editor

Illinois alumna Tatyana McFadden won her fifth Boston Marathon race with a time of 2 hours, 4 minutes and 39 seconds.

The Paralympic athlete raced through the rainy Boston streets Monday morning to take home the women’s wheelchair race trophy.

McFadden reclaimed the honor after losing last year’s race where she was battling blood clots. From 2013-2016, McFadden won four straight Boston Marathons.

McFadden now has a total of 17 Paralympic medals. She has competed in both the summer and winter games from 2004-2016, where she won seven gold medals.

While attending the University, McFadden competed on the women’s wheelchair basketball team, as well as the track and field team. She graduated in 2014 with a degree in human development and family studies.

@Schuster_Elias

About the Writer
Eli Schuster, Sports Editor

My name is Elias Schuster, and I am extremely happy to be in the sports editor role here at The Daily Illini. I am currently a senior here at the University studying journalism and have a strong passion for sports. For the past three years, I have worked at the DI producing digital content. I have covered both Illinois football and basketball for the last three seasons and previously held the sports video editor title. A little background on me, I am originally from a suburb outside Chicago called Vernon Hills, Illinois. Growing up outside a sports-centric city quickly made me fall in love with the sports world. It also made me quickly fall in love with deep dish pizza, but that’s beside the point. Anyway, if you have any questions or comments about anything at all, please feel free to contact me. Oh, and keep up to date with all the latest news via twitter @Schuster _Elias and @di_sports.