Cam Thomas leaves Illinois football program

Freshman quarterback Cam Thomas (10) runs the ball down field in the Illini's game against Minnesota. The Illini lost 24-17.

Derek Neal/Illinois Athletics

Derek Neal/Illinois Athletics

By Eli Schuster, Sports Editor

A press release sent out on Thursday afternoon announced sophomore quarterback Cam Thomas will be leaving the Illinois football program.

During his freshman campaign, Thomas appeared in four games and started two. He finished the season with 233 rushing yards with one touchdown while throwing for 375 yards and five interceptions.

Heading into spring ball, Thomas was the only scholarship quarterback on the roster after the departures of Jeff George Jr. and Chayce Crouch. However, a fully-loaded freshman class that featured three incoming QBs and the grad-transferring of AJ Bush left open plenty of competition throughout training camp.

Bush handly earned the position heading into the first game against Kent State, with freshman Matt Robinson and M.J. Rivers put themselves in the conversation for the backup position during camp.

@Schuster_Elias

About the Writer
Eli Schuster, Sports Editor

My name is Elias Schuster, and I am extremely happy to be in the sports editor role here at The Daily Illini. I am currently a senior here at the University studying journalism and have a strong passion for sports. For the past three years, I have worked at the DI producing digital content. I have covered both Illinois football and basketball for the last three seasons and previously held the sports video editor title. A little background on me, I am originally from a suburb outside Chicago called Vernon Hills, Illinois. Growing up outside a sports-centric city quickly made me fall in love with the sports world. It also made me quickly fall in love with deep dish pizza, but that’s beside the point. Anyway, if you have any questions or comments about anything at all, please feel free to contact me. Oh, and keep up to date with all the latest news via twitter @Schuster _Elias and @di_sports.