Former Illini in the NFL

Illinois alumnus Clayton Fejedelem running the field while playing for the Illini.

By Miles Powers-Huang

While they didn’t take conventional routes to either college or professional football, Clayton Fejedelem and Geronimo Allison have both carved out success at both stops.

Clayton Fejedelem

After playing two seasons at National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics school Saint Xavier, Fejedelem joined the program as a junior in 2015. After playing sparingly in his initial campaign, Fejedelem broke out his senior year, leading the team in tackles as a safety and earning All-Big Ten second team from the media.

Fejedelem would have to wait and watch 244 players go before him before the Cincinnati Bengals grabbed him in the seventh round in 2016. To maintain a roster spot, Fejedelem stood out on special teams, before earning more playing time at safety in 2017. Thus far in 2018, Fejedelem has had 10 tackles through two games and forced a critical fumble, which he returned for a touchdown to seal a 34-23 victory over the Indianapolis Colts.

Geronimo Allison

Geronimo Allison celebrates a touchdown.

For Allison, the journey in football was atypical.

Before his time in Champaign, Allison spent two seasons at Iowa Western Community College. However, he made an impact as soon as he arrived in Champaign. The receiver started 12 of 13 games in his junior season, and registered 598 yards and five touchdowns.

His senior season performance would earn him an All-Big Ten honorable mention, as he finished with 882 yards and three touchdown catches.

Allison went undrafted in 2016, but signed with the Green Bay Packers. He was cut to the practice squad before the season. He received a call-up from the Packers in October 2016 and caught a 4-yard touchdown as his first career NFL reception.

Thus far in 2018, Allison has 133 receiving yards to go along with a touchdown, a 39 yarder against the Chicago Bears in Week 1.