Illini await construction of new soccer fields

Photo Courtesy of Illini Athletics

The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics broke ground on the new Demirjian Park on Oct. 12. The new state-of-the-art soccer and track facility will feature updated fan seating, player lounges and modern sports medicine areas.

By Claire O'Brien, Staff Writer

The Illinois soccer team has played at the Soccer and Track Stadium since 1999 but is expected to move to a new home for the 2020 season.

In 2017, Illinois Athletics announced the construction of Demirjian Park on the south side of campus, immediately to the east of the Soccer and Track Stadium.

But there are some changes to athletics schedules surrounding the construction. Both men’s and women’s track and field teams will not host any home meets this season, and the soccer team is currently playing in its final season at the current venue.

The Illini currently practice soccer at the Soccer and Track Stadium, but once the team moves to Demirjian Park, they will practice on a different field than the one they compete on.

Though construction is slated to be completed in time for the fall 2020 season, the project’s price recently increased to almost $21 million. Both track and field teams are also planning to host the 2021 Big Ten Championships in their first season running in their new home.

@claire_obrien43