Illini hope to add to 7-1 record in matchups against Hawkeyes, Cornhuskers

Illinois+celebrates+after+winning+the+game+against+Indiana+at+the+Illinois+Soccer+Stadium+on+Oct.+14.+Illinois+hopes+to+improve+their+current+record+of+7-1+when+facing+off+against+Iowa+and+Nebraska+this+week.+

Illinois celebrates after winning the game against Indiana at the Illinois Soccer Stadium on Oct. 14. Illinois hopes to improve their current record of 7-1 when facing off against Iowa and Nebraska this week.

By Gabby Vazquez, Staff Writer

The Illini soccer team will face off against the Iowa Hawkeyes on Thursday and the Nebraska Cornhuskers on Sunday. The Illini are currently sitting pretty at a 7-1 overall record and are looking to make that 9-1 after this weekend.

The Hawkeyes are currently at a 9-1-0 record with a 1-1-0 Big Ten record. The team is appears to be a good matchup for the Illini, and junior goalkeeper Sami Sample said they’re ready to compete.
“This is our second Big Ten game of the season,” Sample said. “We’re excited to put our best out there and get better with each passing minute.”
Last season, the Illini qualified for the Big Ten semi-finals and are looking to not only go further to the Big Ten Championship but also make an appearance in the NCAA tournament.
Part of Illinois’ recent success on the field stems from team chemistry and comradery during practices. The Illini are always coming up with ways to keep the energy up during practices and games as well.
“There’s such a strong energy around this team,” Sample said. “We proved it last season, and I really think we’re going places this season. No matter what role you’re playing, you’re not only impacting yourself but also your teammates.”
The Illini had to make changes, individually and as a team, to really prepare themselves for this next stretch of Big Ten play. They’ve learned to focus on more than just the good things about each game.
“Our mindset has changed for the better,” Sample said. “We talk a lot about climbing a mountain and not reaching any false peaks. We look to focus on the current game we’re playing and how we can get better each time and I think that has proved successful for us.”
Regardless of the score, there’s always going to be room for improvement. Each player should be able to identify areas needing more work with the help of the coaching staff and their fellow teammates.
Sample said sophomore forward Makena Silber has grown a lot since her freshman year.
“(Silber) has really stepped out of her shell,” Sample said. “We’ve all known since her freshman year that she was a great player, but I think she’s starting to prove herself as a leader on the field. We’re excited to see more.”
@G_Vazquez15