Illini close fall season 2-1

By Gabby Hajduk, Staff Writer

Illinois baseball closed out its shortfall season with a 15-3 win over the Great Lakes Canadians. The Illini previously hosted Indiana State in an 8-2 loss on Sept. 28 and traveled to Butler on Sept. 14, winning 16-6.

While coming out of the fall 2-1 is a positive, head coach Dan Hartleb said before their fall season began, the main goal was to see how his new players performed in a collegiate environment.

The Illini added 18 new players to their roster in the offseason, 12 being freshmen. Without last year’s stars like Jack Yalowitz, Michael Massey, Grant Van Scoy and Zac Taylor, many starting positions are up for grabs.

Several newcomers showcased their talents throughout the three games. Freshman Brody Harding led the Illini with four hits, including two doubles, against Butler.

Kirkwood Community College transfer Taylor Jackson also shined at Butler with a bases-clearing triple and two hits. Freshman Danny Doligale added a two-RBI triple against the Bulldogs.

Madison College transfer Nathan Aide contributed in the loss to Indiana State with an RBI double and a run, while Jackson had one hit and one run.

Many newcomers impressed early, but sophomore Jacob Campbell led the Illini against the Canadians with two doubles and a triple. Freshmen Justin Janas contributed with a three-RBI double. Harding also added four RBIs against the Canadians.

Another returner, redshirt sophomore Kellen Sarver, contributed this fall with two hits and an RBI against Indiana State. Sarver hit .269 last season, appearing in 57 games and starting 55.

Sophomores Cam McDonald and Branden Comia didn’t produce much offensive work this fall, but the impact players will serve key roles come spring. McDonald hit .281, Comia .255 in their freshmen seasons.

Illinois will appear next in Tempe, Arizona in the Angels College Classic on Feb. 14. The Illini won’t return to Illinois Field until March 3 when they host Chicago State.

@gabby_H11