Illinois prepares to face Wisconsin

Photo Courtesy of Illini Athletics

Illinois Goal Keeper Jaelyn Cunningham (30) defends the goal at Ohio State on Sunday. The Illini tied 0-0 with Ohio State

By Gabby Vazquez, Staff Writer

The Illinois soccer team will face off against Wisconsin at Demirjian Park Thursday at 8 p.m.

Sophomore forward Makena Silber said after watching the Illinois football team upset No. 6 Wisconsin, the Illini soccer team is looking forward to hosting the Badgers this week.

“It was awesome that the football team was able to do what they did against Wisconsin,” Silber said. “It’s really encouraging for all the athletic teams here. Going into the last two games of the regular season, I think it showed us that anything’s possible, and we’re really excited to have Wisconsin back here.”

After a 2-1 loss to Penn State on Oct. 17 and a nail-biting 0-0 tie in double overtime against Ohio State on Sunday, Illinois is looking to bounce back from its 6-1-1 record across its last eight games.

“I think we still need to work on staying together as a unit,” Silber said. “Going into these last two regular-season games, I think it’s important to stay connected and to keep fighting as one. It’s not so much focused on all of us as individuals, more so coming together as a team.”

The Badgers are currently undefeated in conference play with a 7-0-1 record, while the Illini are sitting at a 2-6-1 Big Ten record.

Following the Illinois game against Wisconsin on Thursday, the team will host Minnesota on Sunday at 1 p.m.

@G_Vazquez15