Illini leave second road trip of season undefeated, beating Maryland, Rutgers

Photo Courtesy of Fighting Illini Athletics

Junior Shaylah Scott performs her floor routine during the tri-meet against Rutgers and Maryland on Saturday.

By Jonah Perez, Staff Writer

Illinois ended its two-meet road trip with a pair of wins as they beat No. 28 Maryland and Rutgers. The Illini finished with a score of 195.525 while the Terrapins scored 195.300 and the Scarlet Knights scored 192.500.

“There are definitely details that we need to hone in on. Our depth has continued to grow more and more, so that is a really good thing. We have some people stepping up in different areas that we needed them to,” said head coach Nadalie Walsh. “Overall I think the team did a great job, they got two wins on the road. While we would like to have ended vault stronger than we did, I don’t think today is our identity, I think they will definitely be stronger on vault next week.”

The Illini won two of the four events — beam with a score of 49.075 and floor with a 49.125. The other two events they tied and lost to Maryland. On bars, they tied with a score of 49.000 and lost on vault 48.775 to 48.325.

Individually there were no Illinois outright wins, but on beam sophomore Mia Takekawa tied for first with a 9.875. On floor senior Kylie Noonan and junior Shaylah Scott both tied for first with 9.875s.

Coach Walsh was impressed with them, complimenting each for their beauty and solidity. All three scores were the highest of the day for Illinois.

For vault senior Nicole Biondi had the highest Illini finish, finishing fourth out of 18 with a 9.775. Maryland senior Collea Burgess won with a 9.850. Sophomore Arayah Simons had the highest Illini finish for bars, placing third out of 18 with a 9.825. Maryland senior Audrey Barber won with a 9.925.

A message this week after the meet was to have trust in yourself and to radiate confidence. The Illini saw some struggles on vault as a couple newcomers competed on the event this weekend, as coach Walsh blamed nerves for some of the outcomes. And while she understands and accepts they are to happen, Walsh expects and has confidence there will be strong comebacks in practice and on the mat at next week’s meet.

The three freshmen seen at last week’s meet were on display again for Illinois. Amelia Knight competed in three events but only one counted towards the Illini’s team score — a 9.850 on floor — which was second overall and among her teammates.

Kaitlyn Ewald competed on bars and floor, scoring a 9.725 and 9.700, respectively, and Abby Mueller competed on floor and scored an 8.875.

This is the first time since the 2006-07 season the Illini have started conference play 2-0. The difference between the two seasons, however, is both meets 14 years ago were at home. This season both meets were on the road.

Next, the Illini return home for the start of a two-meet homestretch with a matchup against No. 25 Iowa Jan. 31.

“I think having competition every single week is exciting whether we are home or away but to be able to be in our own arena, that they are comfortable with is going to be very exciting,” said coach Walsh. “Even though we can’t have fans they are in it for themselves and in it for the team. They just really wanna represent the I and do a great job.”

@jonahap2