Former Illinois guard Jeanae Terry transfers to Purdue

Ryan Ash

Sophomore Jeanae Terry shoots the ball during the game against Valparaiso Dec. 2. Terry recently announced she is transferring to Purdue.

By Jackson Janes, Sports Editor

Former Illini sophomore Jeanae Terry has transferred to Purdue, according to a social media post Wednesday. She is one of four women’s hoops players to leave Illinois after last season, with the group also including sophomore Kennedi Myles, who transferred to Marquette, junior J-Naya Ephraim and freshman Aaliyah McQueen.

“I want to first say Thank You to all the schools that recruited me, yet again,” Terry said in a social media post Wednesday. “I chose to take sufficient time to make this very serious yet difficult choice; this decision is an all around great fit both academically and athletically. The Big Ten is a very special conference, filled with elite athletes and extreme talent.

“So, with that being said, I have decided to continue my academic and athletic career at Purdue University.”

Terry was one of Illinois’ most consistent players last year, as she started every game — one of only three Illini to achieve the feat — while ranking second in points (10.7) and rebounds (7.8) per game. She was also unselfish, leading the team in assists (101), while she led the team in double-doubles with seven and had 12 games with double-digit points.

Terry also became the 24th player in Division I women’s basketball history to record at least 21 points, 16 rebounds and eight assists in a single game, which she achieved against Penn State Jan. 28.

The Detroit native also was one of the team’s best defenders, leading the Illini in steals with 41 on the season.

Purdue finished the 2020-21 season with a 7-16 overall record, including a 4-14 mark in conference play. The Illini split their series with the Boilermakers last season.

@JacksonJanes3