Illinois wraps up regular-season schedule with several individual accolades

Redshirt+sophomore+Billy+Matzek+throws+shot+put+at+the+Fighting+Illini+Big+Ten+Relays+on+April+23.+The+Illinois+track+%26+field+team+wraps+up+their+regular-season+with+multiple+accolades.+

Cameron Krasucki

Redshirt sophomore Billy Matzek throws shot put at the Fighting Illini Big Ten Relays on April 23. The Illinois track & field team wraps up their regular-season with multiple accolades.

By Andre Thomas, Staff Writer

With the weekend coming to an end, Illinois has won multiple events in every invite this year. The men and women’s track & field teams are both having historic years, breaking records in multiple events. The Illini traveled to Indiana and Minnesota Friday and Saturday with only one plan on the agenda: win.

Carolyn Nye and Jessica McDowell both made statements, winning both of their events two weeks in a row. McDowell set a new personal record by recording the seventh-fastest time in school history in the 400-meter. 

Tyler Sudduth set a new personal record this week, earning second place in the men’s shot put. McDowell, Nye, Ayah Aldadah and the men’s relay team all broke records and made statements right before the Big Ten Outdoor Championships as well.

In a quick recap of other events, Olivia Howell won the women’s 400-meter, Bret Dennis won the men’s 110-meter hurdles, Samuel Raheem won the men’s triple jump and Manning Plater won the men’s hammer throw for the third time this season.

Illinois hosted multiple Big Ten schools in Champaign for a meet last weekend, which gave the team a glimpse of the competition they will face with postseason meets coming up over the next few weeks. 

With two weeks until the Big Ten Championships, Illinois gains an extended break to prepare for the meet on May 14-16.

What will we see from Illinois over that three-day weekend? 

Will Plater continue his winning streak after receiving his third this past weekend? Plater set the record in the NCAA for men’s discus earlier this season, but will he break it again? What should we expect from the men’s relay team? 

All of these questions will be answer May 14 in Champaign, as the Big Ten Outdoor Championships will be hosted at Demirjian Park.

@dre2xx