Former Illini soccer star DiBernardo reflects on illustrious career with Illinois, Chicago Red Stars

Vanessa DiBernardo begins to kick a soccer ball during the game against Penn State Sept. 23, 2012. DiBernardo reflects on her time as an Illinois and Chicago Red Stars athlete.

By Angelle Cortes, Assistant Sports Editor

On Saturday, July 19, Vanessa DiBernardo of the Chicago Red Stars hit a milestone in her professional career as the first Red Stars player to hit 10,000 minutes played and the sixth National Women’s Soccer League player to do so. But DiBernardo has been setting records way before her professional career. 

“It’s an honor,” DiBernardo said when talking about hitting her milestone. “I think it’s awesome that we’re to this point in our league where players are able to hit that milestone. I think it just shows that our league has been around, and there’s players that have been around for as long as the league, and it just kind of shows the longevity of it.”  

Naperville native DiBernardo came to Illinois in 2010 coming off a great four years at Waubonsie Valley High School. During her time in high school, she led the team to three out of four state titles (2 AA, 1 AAA) and won the 2010 Gatorade Player of the Year, 2010 Illinois High School Soccer Coaches Association Illinois Player of the Year and much more. 

DiBernardo had a breakout freshman year in an Illini uniform, reeling in awards like Big Ten Freshman of the Year and All-Big Ten First Team in addition to leading the Big Ten in goals (11), points (27), goals per game and points per game by the end of the season. 

Sophomore year saw her earn even more accolades and accomplishments, with big ones like the MAC Hermann Trophy Watch List and winning the Big Ten tournament. 

Going back to Nov. 6, 2011 on Northwestern’s field, Illinois vs. Penn State, No. 18 vs. No. 11 and powerhouses of the Big Ten were pinned up against each other in the final of the Big Ten tournament. Julie Ewing scored in the sixth minute for Illinois, and then Penn State responded in the 33rd minute to tie up the game all while DiBernardo was on the ground after getting injured. 

A serious knock on her ankle put her out for the remainder of the first half, but she came back in the second half and put on top to keep her out of any mess that could have hurt her ankle even more. 

In the 92nd minute, DiBernardo took a one-time shot off a pass from Nicole Dedenberg, and it sailed into the net, getting the golden goal to earn the tournament title. 

“Obviously winning that Big Ten tournament was something special,” DiBernardo said. “What made it even more special was that it was played at Northwestern, so a lot of girls on the team are from the Chicagoland area so it was almost like a home game for us. We had all our friends and family come to that game and support us, and I think that’s a huge memory that everyone would say that was a part of that team that really sticks with us for the rest of our lives.” 

Before her junior season, she earned a spot on the United States Women’s National Team U-20 squad and played in many matches leading up to the World Cup in August of 2012. She ended up scoring the opening goal in the semi-final match against China in a 2-1 U.S. win. Then, the United States moved on to the final against Germany, with DiBernardo helping the team win 1-0 and clinch the championship. 

At the time, she was playing with future teammates Morgan (Brian) Guatrat, Kealia (Ohai) Watt, Julie (Johnston) Ertz and Sarah (Killion) Woldmoe. 

“Anyone on that U-20 team, we created such a great connection during that time that it’s always fun to play with them again,” DiBernardo said. “So having all those names that we listed (Gautrat, Watt, Ertz and Woldmoe) together on one team again 10 years later, nine years, wow, it’s fun.” 

In her last two years as an Illini, she continued to reel in the accolades and keep her name out there as one of the best collegiate midfielders in the game. She ended her junior season as a MAC Hermann Trophy candidate and scored eight goals and bagged five assists. 

During her final year at Illinois, though out for seven games due to a knee injury and a call-up to for a USWNT, she still ended the season ranked second in goals (7) out of 15 games. She also led Illinois to the Sweet Sixteen round of the NCAA tournament, marking that season as the highest finish during her four years. She ended her collegiate career ranked third in Illinois history with 43 goals, 22 assists and 108 points. 

In January of 2014, she was the No. 4 overall pick in the NWSL College Draft, in which she was picked by her current team: the Chicago Red Stars. 

Several months later, she was playing in her first season, appearing in 23 of the 24 matches while scoring one goal and getting three assists. Seven years later, she has made over 100 appearances for the team, becoming a crucial player to head coach Rory Dames’ squad. 

Ever since DiBernardo joined the Red Stars, so much has changed. The NWSL was only in its second season, the Red Star’s home stadium was Benedictine University in Lisle and not much was invested into women’s soccer as much as it is now. 

“We’ve definitely grown from when I started to now,” DiBernardo said. “I think what the league has learned from in the past is with the WPS. I think they tried to grow too fast too soon, and I think that’s what our league has done so well. It’s been a steady pace of growth, and people are now seeing that and now investing. With more people investing and believing in this league, there’s really anything this league can really do to grow.” 

As for DiBernardo, she slowly became a forefront and leader for the team, and only two years into her pro career, she captained the team for the first time. Now, she regularly leads the team on the field and, right now, the Red Stars are fourth in the NWSL table with a record of 5-5-2. 

For now, DiBernardo has several years left in her pro career, and she could grow into a legend for the Chicago Red Stars like she has at Illinois and Waubonsie Valley High School. 

“I won’t be playing soccer,” DiBernardo said when asked about where she would be in 10 years. “I’ll be retired, probably having a family and I would probably keep soccer within my life.”

@AngelleCortes