Illinois to host Florida State in Big Ten/Atlantic Coast Conference Women’s Basketball Challenge

Ryan Ash

Players of the Illinois women’s basketball team come together during a pause in the game against Valparaiso Dec. 2. Illinois will host Florida State in the 2021 Big Ten/Atlantic Coast Conference Women’s Basketball Challenge.

By Jackson Janes, Sports Editor

Illinois will host Florida State in the 2021 Big Ten/Atlantic Coast Conference Women’s Basketball Challenge, with the game scheduled to take place on Dec. 2 at State Farm Center in Champaign.

The Seminoles went 10-9 last season and made the NCAA tournament as a 9-seed, falling to No. 8 Oregon State, 83-59, in the first round of the competition. Despite finishing the season one game over .500, Florida State racked up a few impressive wins, highlighted by a nine-point victory over No. 3 Louisville.

Illinois struggled last year, going 5-18 overall and 2-16 in conference play. The Illini won their first Big Ten tournament game under head coach Nancy Fahey, however, taking down Wisconsin, 67-42, before falling to Northwestern in the second round.

These two teams will meet for just the second time, with the Seminoles winning the only contest between the pair in 1990.

The Big Ten/ACC Challenge was canceled in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, with the Illini falling to North Carolina in the Challenge in 2019.

Illinois is 4-9 in the Challenge since its launch in 2007, with the team’s most recent win in the annual competition coming against Virginia in 2014. Florida State is 11-2 in the Challenge, which is the best record among both Big Ten and ACC schools.

@JacksonJanes3