Experienced Illini defenders look to impress during 2021 season

Ryan Ash

Senior Owen Carney tries to intercept a throw from Iowa on Dec. 5. The team is prepping for the season ahead with new coach Bret Bielema.

By Will Payne, Assistant Sports Editor

A fresh Illinois football season is right around the corner, and new head coach Bret Bielema is already laying the groundwork to turn the program around. 

Illinois struggled massively during the 2020 campaign, amassing a measly two wins in a COVID-19 shortened season. Many issues with Lovie Smith’s Illini started with defending their conference opponents. They ranked dead last in the Big Ten against the run and eighth in pass defense. 

Bielema has brought in several new staff members for the Illini on both sides of the ball. Ryan Walters has arrived from Mizzou as the new defensive coordinator after spending the last six seasons in Columbia. 

He spent three of those years as their defensive coordinator, as the Tigers boasted one of the strongest defenses in the country, ranking third in the SEC and 14th in the NCAA.

With Walters arriving in Champaign, so is a 3-4 defensive scheme, which will be a change from the previous regime. For many of the experienced players on the team, such as Isaiah Gay and Owen Carney, this switch is coming late in their careers with the Illini. 

Instead of being in the trenches, both players will spend time this season at outside linebacker in this new defense. For senior Isaiah Gay, he is excited for his final season with Illinois, as he wants to help the team get back on track after a underwhelming year for the Illini. 

“I’ve enjoyed every season with the Illini,” Gay said. “I just want to keep working hard and stacking the things I learned from the other years. I came back to show what I’ve learned from the other years.”

In the seven games Gay featured in during the 2020 season, he started three of them at defensive end. In total, he put up 19 tackles, 2.5 sacks and a fumble recovery.

Throughout summer camp, new members of the Illini and veterans alike have had to adjust to Bielema and his new staff. So far, Walters has left a great impression on the defensive players, as Gay is sensing a culture change for the better in Champaign.

“Walters is a great guy,” Gay said. “He really gets close to his players, and the team connects with that.”

Another member of the Illini defense looking to build on strong performances is Owen Carney Jr. Carney enters this season as a selection to the Phil Steele Preseason All-Big Ten First Team after a solid 2020 campaign.

He tallied 28 tackles, five sacks and a fumble recovery last year. After spending time in the transfer portal over the summer, Carney opted to stay with the Illini for his fifth year, despite having interest from Texas, Penn State and Florida State.

“It took countless nights,” Carney said. “Talking to the coaches, weighing the pros and cons and how I can develop as a player.”

Along with Gay, Carney is pleased with Bielema’s first few months in Champaign. The change for the better around the locker room has helped players such as Carney continue to perform at the highest level.

“It definitely has been a breath of fresh air, and then some,” Carney said. “Since Bielema has come in, everything has changed, and the morale of the team has gone up.”

Illinois opens up its season at Memorial Stadium on Aug. 28 against the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

@WillPayne33