Three Illini named to Big Ten Women’s Golfers to Watch List

Photo Courtesy of Illini Athletics

Senior Crystal Wang lines up where she needs to putt the ball. Senior Crystal Wang hopes to step-up her game with the upcoming season.

By Carson Gourdie, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, the Illinois women’s golf team had three of its members named to the Big Ten’s Women’s Golfers to Watch List for the 2021-2022 season. 

Familiar faces junior Siyan Chen and seniors Crystal Wang and Kornkamol Sukaree were all named to the watch list as they look to improve on their ninth-place finish in last season’s Big Ten tournament. 

Chen, a China native who did not participate last season because of COVID-19 related restrictions, is returning to the team after a productive freshman campaign. Chen averaged 73.57 strokes per round, with a low of 69 at the Landfall Tradition. 

Wang, meanwhile, is coming off a season where she was named to the All-Big Ten Second Team. The All-Academic athlete played 21 rounds in the COVID-ridden season with an average round score of 73.24. Wang looks to improve on her previous season, as she finished First-Team All-Big Ten after 2018-2019. 

Sukaree, senior from Thailand who didn’t play last season, has been named to an All-Big Ten team in each of the last two seasons. Sukaree looks to replicate her freshman season success, when she secured her lowest round score: a round of 66 in the Westbrook Invitiational in 2019. 

Illinois opens on Sept. 13 at the Wolverine Invitational.

@gourdiereport