Illinois releases 2021-2022 wrestling schedule

Photo Courtesy of Illinois Wrestling Twitter

The Illinois Wrestling Team released their schedule for the upcoming season. The team will have dual with teams that are nonconference meets.

By Claire O'Brien, Sports Digital Content Editor

The Illinois wrestling team released its schedule Wednesday.

For the first time since the 2019-2020 school year, Illinois will have nonconference meets on the schedule.

The Illini open their schedule at the Michigan State Open Nov. 6, and then travel to Appalachian State Nov. 13. Illinois last wrestled against Appalachian State in 2014, and won 24-15.

Illinois next travels to Lindenwood Nov. 21. Lindenwood is not listed in Illinois’ record book.

Illinois then wrestles SIUE and Tennessee-Chattanooga Dec. 11. Both meets will take place in Edwardsville. The Illini defeated SIUE, 30-10, in 2016 and then defeated Chattanooga, 22-10, in 2019.

The Illini compete at the Midlands Championships Dec. 29 in Chicago, and then begin 2022 with a Jan. 14 meet at Rutgers. 

Illinois wrestles in Champaign for the first time this season with a Jan. 16 meet against Iowa at the State Farm Center.

The Illini return to State Farm Center for a trio of meets against Northwestern Jan. 29, Minnesota Feb. 4 and Indiana Feb. 6.

Illinois goes on the road one last time in the regular season, taking on Wisconsin Feb. 11 in Madison and Nebraska in Lincoln Feb. 13.

The Big Ten championships will take place March 5-6 in Lincoln and the NCAA championships will be held in Detroit March 17-19.

@obrien_clairee