Piercen Hunt wins Isleworth Collegiate Invitational, earns Big Ten Golfer of the Week

Sophomore+Piercen+Hunt+completes+a+swing+during+a+meet.+Hunt+won+the+Isleworth+Collegiate+Invitational+and+with+that+he+earned+Big+Ten+Golfer+of+the+Week.+Illinois+will+look+for+their+

Photo Courtesy of Dannie Mattie/Illini Athletics

Sophomore Piercen Hunt completes a swing during a meet. Hunt won the Isleworth Collegiate Invitational and with that he earned Big Ten Golfer of the Week. Illinois will look for their

By Andre Thomas, Staff Writer

The last invitational of the fall has officially passed, which means that the next men’s golf tournament won’t take place until Feb. 5 for the Illini at the Tinervin Cup in Placida, Florida. Illinois finished the Isleworth Collegiate Invitational three-day tournament with a second-place finish behind Arizona State. 

Sometimes players have to end things with a bang, which is exactly what Illinois did after almost every player finishing in the top 50. Not to mention, Piercen Hunt’s win in the final round was enough to push Illinois to second place real fast, while he finished with a score of 209 (-7). Hunt’s back-to-back birdies were the key to giving him the push he needed to win the individual competition.

This was a good first win for Hunt, though it was a rather tough one since he had a rough start. It seems like after winning the 120th Wisconsin State Amateur Championship this summer, the sophomore has become adjusted to competing at the next level. The Hartland, Wisconsin native earned Big Ten Golfer of the Week honors with the victory.

Hunt coming back to win first place in the individual competition was perfect, but it was not the only thing that pulled Illinois closer to second. Adrian Dumont de Chassart completed his third round with a score of 72, getting a third-place tie (-5) with South Carolina’s Jack Wall. Not to mention, Tommy Kuhl and Jerry Ji both had top-25 finishes at T-18th and T-22nd place, respectively. Kuhl was tied at 22nd place with several players with a score of 219 (+3), and Ji with a score of just one more stroke was tied at 18th place (+2) with four other players. 

Illinois finished part one of its season with three of their four invitationals being top five finishes. The COVID-19 pandemic prevented them from having a fall season in 2020, which is why this fall season was so pivotal for the chemistry and practice of Illinois. Next spring, Illinois will have another chance to win the Big Ten for a seventh straight season, but this time with more practice and training under their belt. Feb. 5 will be the next time they take the field for a three-round match.

@DreReporting