Trio of Illini defenders named to All-Big Ten team

Cameron Krasucki

Senior Jake Hansen tackles the ball carrier during the game against Northwestern on Saturday. The Illini lost the game 28-10.

By Carson Gourdie, Assistant Sports Editor

Defensive end Owen Carney, linebacker Jake Hansen and defensive tackle Rod Perry have received All-Big Ten honors following their senior seasons with the Illini. 

Carney was named to the Coaches and Media second team after his most productive season yet at Illinois. After only playing half a season in 2019, Carney started every game in the COVID-shortened season, finishing with 25 tackles, seven tackles for losses and five sacks. 

After a highly productive injury-riddled junior season — forcing the most fumbles in the nation — Hansen stayed healthy and produced even better results. Hansen was named to the Media’s second team and the Coaches’ third team.

The Florida native continued his niche to force turnovers while becoming more well-rounded, finishing tied for the conference lead in forced fumbles, second in fumble recoveries, sixth in tackles, seventh in interceptions and ninth in tackles for losses. 

Perry, who was given an honorable mention by both the media and coaches, had a breakout season after transferring from South Carolina State. 

The North Carolina native finished with 17 tackles, two sacks and a pass breakup and was even named the No. 1 graded defensive lineman after Oct. 24 by Pro Football Focus. 

While honors have been rewarded, Illinois still have one more game to go with a road trip to Penn State coming up this Saturday. Although seniors, due to COVID-19, the trio has the opportunity to come back to the Illini in 2021 and play under the next head coach.

@gourdiereport