Yalowitz named Big Ten player of the week

Illinois outfielder Jack Yalowitz swings at the pitch during the game against Milwaukee at Illinois Field on March 14, 2018. Yalowitz was recently named the Big Ten player of the week.

By Miles Powers-Huang, Assistant Sports Editor

Batting .354 with two home runs and 11 RBIs thus far, Illini senior outfielder Jack Yalowitz was named the Big Ten player of the week on Monday.

Illinois went 4-1 last week with a weekend sweep at Grand Canyon, rebounding from a loss to Northeastern in South Carolina on Monday. Over the course of the Grand Canyon series, Yalowitz hit two home runs and drove in six total runs, registering seven hits total.

After a breakout sophomore season, in which he batted .335 with 12 home runs and 44 RBIs, Yalowitz took a step back last season. The then-junior hit just .216 with four home runs and 30 RBIs. Not only did fewer of Yalowitz’s connections find their way through than ever before, but the outfielder set a career high in strikeouts at 42.

However, the Chicago native looks to be in for a rebound season in 2019. To accompany his success at the plate, Yalowitz has maintained a 1.000 fielding percentage and is 3-3 on stolen base attempts. His on-base percentage is also at a career-high .429.

Thus far, Illinois is 10-3 while still yet to play a home game.

@MilesP_H