Iowa Hawkeyes pull away in second half

By Gavin Good, Assistant sports editor

The Illini football team hung with Iowa in the first half at Kinnick Stadium, but the Hawkeyes pulled away in the second half for a comfortable 45-16 win.

The Illini had an opportunity to go into the half with a 13-10 lead, but with the Hawkeyes’ late drive halted at 4th down and five to go on the Illinois 41 yard line, Iowa resorted to a tricky fake punt and safety Amani Hooker burst down the sideline for an 18-yard run.

A few moments later, Akrum Wadley caught a two-yard touchdown pass from Nathan Stanley, and Iowa took a 17-13 lead they would never give up.

Despite breathing life into the offense, quarterback Jeff George Jr. threw three interceptions, including an 89-yard pick six returned by safety Brandon Snyder in the third quarter that made it 24-13.

From there, Iowa was firmly in control of the game, despite the fact that Illinois out-gained Iowa in the game, with 446 total yards compared to 441 for the Hawkeyes.

It was Illinois’ third-straight loss of 22 or more points, and for Iowa, the win helped them get back on track after losing at Michigan State the week before.

The Illini now sit at 2-3 heading into their third week of Big Ten play, while the Hawkeyes move to 4-2 heading into their bye week.