Illinois places fifth at Clemson Invitational

Photo Courtesy of Fighting Illini Athletics

Senior Tristyn Nowlin begins a put during a match on a warm day. The Fighting Illini women’s tennis team placed fifth at the Clemson Invitational with Nowlin tying for third place individually.

By Renato Arteaga, Staff Writer

Even with inclement weather suspending the tournament for a day with four holes remaining, the Illini managed to finish out with a strong performance at the Clemson Invitational.

Illinois finished with their highest tournament placement of the season. The team came in fifth place with a team score of +7 and had three golfers finish in the top 25. Senior Tristyn Nowlin tied for third place with a score of -5, which tied the eighth-best 54-hole score in program history.

The three day event started on Friday and lasted until Sunday. The tournament was hosted by Clemson University in Sunset, South Carolina.

Freshman Isabel Sy and junior Crystal Wang also had strong performances with their respective scores of +1 and +3. Sy came in 12th place, and Wang was tied for 14th place.

Kent State University took home a first-place finish with a score of -12. The University of Maryland was the only other Big Ten school to outperform the Illini with their third place finish, with a score of +1.

The Illini have one more regular season tournament before heading to the Big Ten Championships in Maineville, Ohio. This final tournament of the season will be the Indiana Invitational in Bloomington, Indiana at the Pfau Course on April 17-18.