Best Illini uniforms: blue-white heads 2019 softball jersey combinations

Photo Courtesy of Fighting Illini Athletics

Freshman Avrey Steiner fields the ball during the match against Virginia Tech on May 17, 2019.

By Carson Gourdie, Assistant Sports Editor

If you’re running the uniforms for an Illini team, you have two distinct colors to choose from: orange and blue. White is also allowed, but everyone has that option. The beauty of Illinois athletics is the ability to have crisp uniforms and original colors, unlike most teams in the Big Ten. Did you know out of the 14 Big Ten teams, six schools have a red looking color in their uniforms? I’m sorry, Ohio State; it’s scarlet, not technically red. My bad. 

The Illini softball team has had some slick uniforms in recent history, using all three colors to create a diverse look. Here are the rankings of the softball program’s current jerseys.

1. The “Worst”: All Orange

I have a confession to make: I’m not a big orange fan. I know, I go to the University of Illinois, but orange is just too fresh to me. When I see the Illini wear all orange, it reminds me of people who wear a bunch of orange so they don’t get shot while deer hunting. What Illinois needs to understand is that anything is fine with moderation. I know they love orange and they try to treat it as their primary color, which makes sense because most schools don’t use the color. However, in this case, all orange is simply overkill. 

Sophomore Katie Wingerter rounds the bases during the Illini Fall Classic on Sept. 30, 2019.
  1. Where’s the white?: Orange jersey with blue pants

I know pretty much every school uses white to an extent, so it may get overlooked. But it’s essential. It makes the other colors pop out. While I do not hate this uniform, there’s just a little too much going on. Think about some of the greatest sports uniforms of all time. Penn State away jerseys. New York Yankees home jerseys. Dallas Cowboy home uniforms. They all have white. Mr. Whitman, I ask you to never forget white again. 

Senior Emily Oestreich pitches the ball during the Mardi Gras Invitational on Feb. 23, 2019.
  1. I’m a flip-flopper: All blue

OK, I know I just scolded Josh Whitman for not always having at least some white, but c’mon. All blue is a power move. What separates the all blue from the all-orange is that I don’t need Advil after staring at the blue uniforms. With all blue, it reminds me of the navy getting ready to go into battle. Trust me, all blue is sick. 

Redshirt Senior Annie Fleming tags a runner out during the match against Minnesota on April. 6, 2019.

1. Tie for Bronze: white jersey with orange or blue pants

They’re practically the same. The only difference is what’s your preferred color, orange or blue. I don’t really look at the pants much, but seeing those white jerseys just looks so clean to me.  

Sophomore Katie Wingerter runs to first during the game against Eastern Illinois at Eichelberger Field on March 26, 2019.
  1. The Scottie Pippen: orange jersey with white pants

These uniforms are fantastic. They’re simple and showcase all three of the Illini colors. By sprinkling in a little bit of blue in the numbers, it makes for a complete set that alumni should be proud of. Some people don’t like white pants. My mom hates white pants because they would always get so dirty. I get it. However, in this case, it makes for an almost perfect uniform.

Photo Courtesy of Fighting Illini Softball’s Instagram
Senior Kiana Sherlund hits the ball during the match against Ohio State on April 28, 2019.

1: The Mona Lisa of Illini uniforms: Blue jersey with white pants

I’m a sucker for blue. My eyes are blue. My room’s color is blue. My favorite show to binge-watch is Blue’s Clues—when I was four. Blue, especially darker blue, is such a beautiful color. When I see orange, I envision a bratty little kid annoying the big kids. It is brash. Blue is mature. It’s delightful. Combine that with a pinch of orange and nice white pants that contrast the colors, this uniform takes home first place for best Illini softball uniforms.

@GourdieReport