Singing groups offer weekend entertainment

By Adam Terese

This Mom’s Weekend, students looking for something to do with their mothers need to look no further than the one-two punch of the Atius-Sachem Mom’s Day Sing and the spring show of No Strings Attached, an a cappella group.

Atius-Sachem Mom’s Day Sing is at 8 p.m. on April 15 and 7:00 p.m. on April 16, and the No Strings Attached Spring Show is on April 16 at 7:30 p.m.

According to Atius-Sachem’s Web site, the Mom’s Day Sing is an annual tradition dating back to the 1900s. It consists of various groups of students who compete for the best song and dance performance.

Daniel Hettinger, president of Atius-Sachem and junior in engineering, said most of the groups come from fraternity or sorority pairings as well as from the dorms.

In prior years the groups have come from fraternity and sorority serenades, but since serenades are no longer performed, finding groups has been more of a challenge, Hettinger said.

Planned since the beginning of the semester, Hettinger described the event as something moms tend to enjoy and the biggest event Atius-Sachem produces.

“The show is tailored for moms and usually with a bit of humor,” Hettinger said. “It’s nothing too wild and usually pretty tame.”

The event is entirely for charity, and all proceeds this year will go the Spurlock Museum. Tickets can be purchased at the door.

But these skits of song and dance aren’t the only thing students and mothers can look forward to – the No Strings Attached spring show offers a night of jazzy vocal performances.

No Strings Attached will perform at the Lincoln Hall Theater on April 16. Run completely by students, the nine-member group specializes in jazz, although, according to their Web site, they are known for their wide variety of music, from choral masterpieces to jazz standards, from rock favorites to popular music.

There will be a small jazz combo playing with the group and they plan to have The Other Guys join them. Tickets may be purchased at the Illini Union for $5 or at the door if any tickets remain.

The group does 70 to 80 shows a year at the University, parties, and other campuses all over, said Russ Anderson, junior in FAA and a second-year member.

“We’re the only jazz vocal group on campus,” said Carolyn Sundlof, musical director and junior in FAA. “I think that’s one of our main draws.”

The show draws a lot of students looking for something to do with their mothers and it usually sells out, Anderson said.

“I think we appeal to an older generation,” Sundlof said. “They like the older jazz tunes we (perform).”

The spring show will be different from their usual as it will not be entirely a cappella and will also contain a short comedic video about the group, Andersen said.

Andersen notes that putting on a mom’s day show is not just to help out students.

“We like to perform for other people too, not just students,” Anderson said. “It’s not just a music group, it’s a group of friends.”