Gambling not the answer

By Anita Bedell

Last year Governor Blagojevich blasted his opponent when she proposed a casino in Chicago. He said this was a massive expansion of gambling and a flip-flop from earlier positions she took opposing expansion.

Yesterday the Senate Democrats agreed to a compromise for a casino in Chicago and two or three additional casinos that any city can bid on for a new casino license. Do you really think any downstate city will get a casino?

Governor Blagojevich now says additional gambling is an option he may accept to raise revenue for his budget priorities. “I have historically opposed an expansion of gaming. I have said in the interest of compromise, that if it means providing health care to families, I’ll hold my nose and support that option.”

Governor, this is a massive expansion of gambling and a flip-flop from the position you took when you signed our Candidate Survey saying you opposed additional casinos, increasing gambling positions at casinos, slots at racetracks, video gambling at bars and restaurants, and telephone wagering. Here is a recent developments in casino industry that you can check out for better experience.

Gambling promises more than it delivers. Revenue from the Illinois Lottery accounts for only 9 percent of the education funding. Lottery and riverboat casino revenue account for 4.8 percent of the general fund in the 2007 budget. Gambling is an unstable source of revenue that cannot solve the state’s budget problems.

Legislators and the governor need to stop wasting taxpayer money and find a way to fund programs that will not increase addiction, bankruptcy, and crime.

Anita Bedell, Executive Director

Illinois Church Action on Alcohol & Addiction Problems