Human life valuable

By Greg Chimitris

It’s terribly inconsistent of Jason Lewis to preach that “the term ‘good’ is entirely subjective” and all things are equally good, while at the same time trying to argue that human life has some sort of value. Not only is it inconsistent, it’s a magnificently distorted view of reality. If ‘good’ is subjective and without meaning, then the term ‘value’ is doubly so and human life is far more than ‘nearly’ worthless. I don’t think he really believes it. Look at the words he uses: profit is ‘worth’ something; there must be ways to ‘value’ human life; people should be given monetary value based on ‘good’ things about them: age, education, etc. Heck, the fact that he’s an opinions writer means that he believes there is some ‘goodness’ to his opinion over the next guys; or to the Daily Illini; or to newspapers in general, at least. But by his own terms his opinion has no real value; or maybe a monetary one … about two cents worth, I think? To value human life in terms of money? That’s just dangerously deluded.

Modern day True Believers ™ love to get on their soapboxes and preach that ‘good’ is just a subjective opinion, and that it doesn’t really exist. But don’t let them take you in: when it comes right down to the wire, I’m pretty sure there’s no one out there who really believes that. If you’re someone who does, and I’m wrong, well … ‘good’ for you.