Odds and ends: Bystanders help out when armored car spills cash

By The Associated Press

STONY BROOK, N.Y. – Money doesn’t grow on trees, but it apparently does flutter like leaves in the wind.

Three bystanders helped pick up $15,000 in dollar bills that flitted across a Long Island road after falling out of an armored car on Halloween, according to two volunteer police officers who helped at the scene.

“I’ve never seen that much money in one place,” said one of the auxiliary officers, George Fuhr, 76. “It was wild.”

Fuhr and his patrol partner, Ralph Cabattente, 73, stopped when they came across the commotion and directed traffic while waiting for Suffolk County police.

Fuhr said the bystanders were able to recover all but $128 of money and return it to its rightful owners.

Woman pleads no contest to fighting spouse with fork

PLYMOUTH, Mich. – A woman accused of stabbing her husband with a fork during a fight at a restaurant has pleaded no contest to reduced charges of being drunk and disorderly.

Canton Township police and the Wayne County prosecutor’s office had pressed a felonious assault case against Kelly Campbell-Baumgartner, despite her husband’s objections.

But a county judge dismissed the felony charge, and Campbell-Baumgartner entered the plea Monday in exchange for the dismissal of a misdemeanor assault and battery charge.

William Baumgartner earlier denied he had been stabbed in the April incident and said he had no interest in charges against his wife.

From Associated Press reports