COLUMN: Let’s just face it: Mother knows best

By Pamela Nisivaco

A little more than a week ago I turned 20 – not an exciting birthday. I did, however, have a significant revelation concerning my mom when I turned 20.

And it all started with a birthday card.

Usually the birthday cards sent by my parents hold very loving and caring messages about how wonderful I am. This year there was a twist. On the front of the card were two dogs, one in pearls and one in a tie, to represent my parents, of course. The inside of the card read, “We think you’re a really great daughter — and you know we’re always right! Happy Birthday.” Talk about sending an underlying message with your birthday wishes.

I knew my mom must have picked out this card. She is the one always telling me to take her advice more often because in the end we both know she will be right.

So, as far as my amazing revelation, it has taken me 20 long years of road bumps and missteps, but I am finally able to admit it: My mom is always right.

There.

I said it in print. Mom will be so proud.

I cannot ever remember a time when my mom gave me the wrong advice. When I was trying to decide on a college, all I wanted was to leave Illinois and get as far away from home as possible. Mom’s advice: go to U of I. Here I am at the University of Illinois and I could not be happier. Then there was the time I was not accepted to a winter study abroad trip to France, but could reapply for a trip to China. Mom’s advice: go for it! Who cares if it was not your first choice. When’s the next time you are going to have an opportunity to go to China? I had the time of my life for two weeks getting to walk along the Great Wall and stare at the lights of Shanghai at night.

I recently gave a piece of my mom’s advice to a friend who was stressed. My friend told me the other day that my mom was very right so I think I’ll share her advice with all of you.

For as long as I can remember, when I am facing a problem my mom will say without fail, “No problem is unsolvable, unless you murder someone.” This is slowly becoming my life philosophy. While this advice may be humorous, it is also true. Any problems in my life have eventually worked themselves out, without the world coming to an end, and sometimes with help from my mom.

One thing my mom will say to me during moments of annoyance is, “I’ll always love you, but I don’t always have to like you.” Trust me, I am not always that likable either. So, in honor of my mom putting up with me all these years I have written a column about how she is always right.

I know there are others of you out there just like me who know deep down inside that your mom is always right. Just let the truth out. Admit it and move on. It’s really not so bad.