Greek houses plan activities, events to welcome moms

By Eric Nyberg

Every year for Mom’s Weekend, various campus sororities and fraternities organize activities for mothers that come to visit. Many are open to the public and welcome visitors.

Alyssa Kulpa, a transfer student in Media, belongs to Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. She said Mom’s Weekend is an example of a sisterhood event, giving the members of the chapters a chance to bond within their separate houses and, in this case, include their moms.

The Atius program, a show put on by the Greek houses at Foellinger Auditorium, is also a good way to entertain moms during the weekend, Rachel Grove said, sophomore in ACES and a member of Alpha Phi sorority. The Atius program is a competition between the participating sororities and fraternities.

“Atius is a program where each participating sorority is paired up with a fraternity and we all do a dance and skit at Foellinger on the Friday and Saturday nights of the weekend,” Grove said.

This year, her sorority will be paired with Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity.

“The skits (and) dances are about eight minutes long,” Grove said. “It’s just a funny, silly way to entertain the moms and have fun.”

Several of the chapters represented by Panhellenic Council on campus hold fund raisers during Mom’s Weekend, such as fashion shows and auctions.

The women of Kappa Alpha Theta will hold their Sunday brunch for their moms at the Hilton Garden Inn in Champaign, and have arranged for the Xtension Chords, a male, student a cappella group, to perform there.

Christina Pagliero, student in Media, is in charge of the sorority’s activities for the weekend and said one special thing the women are working on is a recipe book for the seniors to use after graduation.

The recipe book will include the best recipes from many of the sorority members’ mothers.

In addition, Pagliero said, the girls make a composite board using photos moms send in of themselves when they were in college, combining them with photos of themselves.

Christina Faklis, student in LAS, said all proceeds would go toward improvements for the Kappa Alpha Theta house.

Other sororities, such as Chi Omega, will be donating proceeds from their events to their respective charities. Chi Omega donates to the Make a Wish Foundation. They will be having a brunch at their house and an auction as well.

By Eric Nyberg

Staff Writer