Regulate spy technology

By Brett Siegel

I am writing with respect to the rising dangers of spy satellite technology, which quickly has turned into a major issue in regard to privacy rights for American Citizens.

Many of you may not realize how little we actually know about spy satellite technology. Satellite technology has been on the rise since the end of the Cold War and is becoming more and more powerful. Private companies in the United States, along with our federal government, have been pushing to create higher quality satellites that can do more then ever before. Spy satellite technology has been steadily increasing in use, with the Bush administration announcing recently that it plans to begin using the nation’s most advanced spy technology for domestic purposes, rather then simply for military use, as has been the case in the past. While the Bush administration assures Americans that it will stick to using spy technology for monitoring weather patterns, I must warn you to pay attention to what is going on with the drastic progression of spy satellite technology.

The administration specifically says that there will be no interception of communications and that civil liberties will be protected, but you must realize violations of privacy rights could undoubtedly occur in the near future unless congressional regulation is implemented promptly.

I propose that Congress sets up a new security department to strictly enforce regulations on the use of spy satellite technology by the commercial industry, the U.S. government, and the general public who have far too much access to satellite technology on the Internet. It is necessary to regulate spy satellite technology because after the implementation of the Patriot Act in 2001, a portion of the United States public no longer fully trusts the government’s use of spy satellite technology or the government’s ability to protect their privacy rights.