United States exploits South America

By Eduardo Franco

In his article, “Ending the Myth of Che Guevara”, Jordan Harp makes valid arguments for why the Che Guevara trend has gotten out of control. Jordan and those from similar backgrounds and similar beliefs will never understand what Latin Americans feel for Che Guevara as a symbol of liberation and rights. They have always lived in a country that has always held the upper hand in any international relationship.

True, the Castro regime has a bad human rights record and much repression, but at least it is a regime that does not completely submit to the will of everything that benefits the United States at the expense of the people. The dictatorships the United States has installed in Latin America all have committed horrendous crimes that not even the big bad Castro regime has commited.

Once these dictatorships were in power and the voice of the people that wanted true democratic freedom was silenced, the U.S. companies could setup and exploit all the resources of these Latin American countries using the natives as ultra-cheap laborers.

Though Guevara’s efforts could have lead to Castro-like regimes all across Latin America, at least they are Latin American regimes, installed by Latin Americans, and at least some of their efforts would benefit the native populace.

Read about the history of Cuba before Castro and compare it to its development after Castro installed himself. Things actually improved for the population through the regime’s reforms.

Don’t get me wrong, I love this country and all the freedoms we enjoy, but look at this issue from the perspective of those who have always viewed the U.S. as an imperialistic regime always intervening in countries where their intervention was never sought.