Complicated coloring: what’s best and where

By Colleen Vest

You have your new apartment, and your lessor lets you paint. But where to begin? Here are the basics of matching colors and moods to your new home.

Oranges:

Associated with: warmth, less high-energy than reds

Good for: bringing warmth into any rooms, light shades for bedrooms

“Orange is more calming than red, but it is a great color to use to bring warmth into a room,” Morenz said. “Lighter, peach shades of orange are good as neutrals and as a calming color for bedrooms and living rooms.”

Greens:

Associated with: calming, unity, creativity

Good for: Living rooms, study areas

“Green can promote creativity, so it’s good for study areas,” Morenz said. “Green is calming, so it’s also good for really busy areas like foyers or entryways.”

Blues:

Associated with: refreshing, concentration

Good for: any room, rooms with a lot of natural light

“Blue is really universally liked, and lighter blue is good for bedrooms,” Morenz said. “Depending on how much light there is, medium blue looks great in kitchens.”

Purples:

Associated with: cleansing, quiet, regal, relaxation

Good for: almost any room, light shades for bathrooms

“Purple is a new neutral color,” Morenz said. “Almost any other color can work with it, and dark purple looks really regal and modern, and light is good for relaxation.”

Tans:

Associated with: practicality, nourishment of nature

Good for: shared spaces, background colors

“Tans and neutrals are good for shared spaces and allow for accents of any color,” Morenz said.

Yellows:

Associated with: uplifting, sunny, happiness

Good for: kitchens, walls that face north or east

“A common mistake people make with yellow is making it too bright or too dark,” Morenz said. “The softer yellows are prettier and easier to live with instead of the lemony yellows.”