Grocer’s frozen aisle has more than pizza

By Hannah Hess

Wandering the aisles of the grocery store can be quite an overwhelming experience. It’s tempting to steer your shopping cart directly to the frozen foods section, Frisbee-toss a few pizzas into the basket and head for the checkout. Your ready-made thin crust may be an easy load for your wallet, but it’s also a lightweight in the nutrition department. Delve a little deeper into your grocer’s deepfreeze and you can find healthier foods that are just as budget friendly.

Frozen meats, vegetables and fruits are a smart choice for the college kitchen. While it’s true that combining ingredients to make a recipe takes a little more time and culinary skill than sliding a pizza off of the cardboard, the completed meal is much more satisfying than some slices.

Hectic schedules can make it hard to handle items fresh from the deli or produce section. Using pre-washed and cut frozen fruits and vegetables saves you prep time. Frozen meats can be cooked ahead of time and left in the fridge until you are ready to serve. By combining your frozen goods with a few pantry staples, like rice, pasta and can soup, you can make big meals in your small kitchen without sacrificing too much time or money.

Sweet and Sour Shrimp Stir Fry (4 servings)

Ingredients

8 tablespoons rice vinegar

4 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons soy sauce

6 tablespoons ketchup

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 tablespoon garlic

8-ounce package frozen shrimp

16 ounces stir-fry vegetables

Directions

To prepare sweet and sour sauce, heat 8 tablespoons rice vinegar in a saucepan, then add 4 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons soy sauce and 6 tablespoons ketchup. Stir to dissolve the sugar, then remove from heat and set aside. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in large skillet then add 1 tablespoon garlic and 1 8-ounce package frozen shrimp. Cook for 2-3 minutes and stir occasionally. Add 16 ounces frozen stir-fry vegetables and heat through. Pour sweet and sour sauce over mixture and cook 3-4 minutes. Serve over rice.

Cheater’s Chicken Pot Pie (4 servings)

Ingredients

16 ounces mixed vegetables

4 frozen chicken breasts

2 tablespoons butter

1 can condensed cream of chicken soup

3/4 cup milk

1 can refrigerated buttermilk biscuit dough

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread 16 ounces mixed vegetables in two quart baking dish. Defrost 4 frozen chicken breasts and cut meat into cubes or strips. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in skillet and brown chicken. Remove from heat and spread chicken evenly over vegetables. Whisk together 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup and 3/4 cup milk in small bowl. Pour sauce over chicken and vegetables. Separate one can of refrigerated buttermilk biscuit dough and spread biscuits over mixture. Bake 18-20 minutes until biscuits are brown and sauce is bubbling.

Chicken and broccoli alfredo

Ingredients

4 frozen chicken breasts

8 ounces linguine or spaghetti

2 cups frozen broccoli florets

2 tablespoons butter

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup parmesan cheese

1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions

Defrost 4 frozen chicken breasts and cut meat into cubes or strips.

Cook 8 ounces linguine or spaghetti according to package directions.

Add 2 cups frozen broccoli florets to the pasta for the last four minutes of cooking time.

Remove from heat and drain. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet. Add chicken and cook until browned. Combine 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 cup of milk, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pour mixture into skillet with chicken and whisk until smooth. Add linguine and broccoli and heat through.