Just say no to energy drinks

By John Karlak

It seems that every semester around midterm and finals weeks, I find myself in the same unfortunate predicament: too much studying to be done and not enough time to do it. It is during this time that I will pop open a can of Red Bull, Monster, or any of the other countless energy drinks on the shelf today.

All of a sudden I’m focused, I’m in the zone, and when the studying is done … I lay restless and wide-eyed in bed when I should be sleeping. The massive amount of caffeine (anywhere from 100-500mg) in a given can is the culprit, and in the hands of someone with sensitivity to such a stimulant, it can be harmful.

Upon reading your recent article (Stimulant use rises during finals week, 12/15/08) regarding energy drinks, I realize I am not alone. Sales of energy drinks and even caffeine pills seem to spike during these high stress times, and many of us don’t see the potential harm these stimulants can bring.

Restlessness, anxiety, and even nausea are among the symptoms of overconsumption of caffeine. Shockingly, the FDA currently does not require energy drink manufacturers to place information regarding the amounts of caffeine and other potentially harmful stimulants on their label, nor does it limit the amount of these stimulants that can be added to a given drink. Most companies advertise their product as something along the lines of a “special energy blend,” with no clear declaration of what is actually in it.

It’s about time that we fight to be more informed about the things we take into our bodies. Energy drink manufacturers need to be forced to declare exactly what’s in their drinks, and if no limit is placed on the amount of stimulants that can be added, who knows how high the bar will rise. College students are the largest target audience for energy drink manufacturers, and we can use this to make a change.

I propose boycotts and information rallies that will inform the people of the dangers of overconsumption of these drinks, as well as show the makers of these products that we are willing to go without them until we are more informed.

I know finals can be a stressful time, but energy drinks are not the solution, and in fact they have the potential to add to the problem.

Next time you feel worn out and there’s not enough time in the day, pump the brakes a little, take a deep breath, grab an apple, take a shower, but do NOT reach for the nearest can of Red Bull.

Your heart will thank you.

John Karlak

sophomore in LAS