Still at square one

By Article Tools

I am writing in response to the article “Police clear out event” that ran in your Feb. 23 edition and highlighted the shutdown of the Cotton Club After-Party. It captured a quote from Femi Masha, Social Action Chair of the Central Black Student Union, which helped sponsor and put on the event and after-party.

“Masha said he was disappointed that negative events such as these garner so much attention while more positive programs in the black community go unheeded.

“‘I didn’t see any DI coverage (of those events), but when altercations like this occur I get a call the very next day,’ he said.”

A lot of negative feedback (more than 100 comments in one day) stemming from this quote was posted online. The comments ranged from outrage toward the police and their reaction to actual hateful, hurtful words to fellow students of all races and creeds. As I read through the thread, which took more than an hour, I realized a lot. Not that racism still exists, no, not that inequality still exists. Those are sandbox problems to what I did notice.

We, as a university, we, as a community, as separate races, as a country … haven’t learned anything. In our more than 200 years of existence, we are still at square one.

We don’t fully understand each other but we refuse to listen, refuse to learn. Where is that going to get us? Exactly where we are: square one.

Cameron Moseberry

junior in LAS