MTD receiving stimulus money in the best interest of students

Walking to class on an early and hazy Monday morning, I, like so many other University students, treat the crosswalk like it doesn’t even exist; “I’m a pedestrian on a college campus. Cars abide by my schedule!” is what runs through my head as I see the “Don’t Walk” light cease flashing and stay illuminated.

In the distance, I see a CU-MTD bus driver slam on his brakes down Sixth Street, narrowly missing yet another pedestrian trying to get where they need to be on time.

In the back of my mind I have a fear that if that bus driver was just a second too late, that student’s trip to class could be his last.

Reading your March 8 article “Stimulus money finds its way to the MTD” partially calmed my fears.

I think using the $2.75 million given to us from the Federal Recovery and Reinvestments Act to purchase two new driving simulators is a great idea.

Now new drivers can practice honing their skills in a much safer environment than the crowded streets of Champaign-Urbana.

Once this addition to our mass-transit infrastructure is complete, I’m confident I’ll be able to walk to class without fearing for the lives of my on-campus peers.

John Karlak

sophomore in LAS