Research Park opportunities should be more accessible

Lately, I have had trouble facing the harsh reality that upon graduation, I will be striving to find a job in a nation of Depression-era unemployment. This realization has led me to search for something, anything that I can put on a resume and use as a springboard into a worthwhile career, instead of ending up as a barista at my hometown coffee shop. I have searched high and low for a fulfilling job/internship locally, so that I can manage it around my classes during the school year. Your April 1 article, “Interns find opportunity at Research Park” has given me what I hope to be the diamond in the rough that I have been searching for.

After reading this article, I checked out the Research Park Web site. Since 2001, eleven buildings have been constructed to host a variety of innovative services that students can interact with, including EnterpriseWorks, which since its completion in 2003 has launched over 70 startup companies. The only problem with this site was that I found it hard to uncover how to actually go about applying to get involved with Research Park as an intern. I hope that others have taken an interest in Research Park after reading this article and that opportunities to get involved with their projects will become more easily accessible in the near future.

John Karlak

sophomore in LAS