Lonely Moms Weekend without Mom

Now that Moms weekend is right around the corner, I realize there were many things I never took into consideration when I decided to go to an out-of-state school, including how lonely Moms day would be without my mom in town. I know I’m not the only student who’ll be mom-less this weekend there…Now that Moms weekend is right around the corner, I realize there were many things I never took into consideration when I decided to go to an out-of-state school, including how lonely Moms day would be without my mom in town.

I know I’m not the only student who’ll be mom-less this weekend – there is a good portion of us on campus, but when I hear about all my friends’ plans with their mothers this weekend, I just think of the sad movies and candy I’ll be downing alone while trying to avoid all the happy mother-daughter couples.

I never thought it would be such a big deal. One day. I can get through one day without my mom. For 204 days – not that I’ve been counting – my mom and I have been 13 hours apart. One more day should be a piece of cake. But I know it won’t be.

I’ve missed my mom from day one. I never expected to be that hysterical freshman crying at the beginning of the semester. Naturally I thought I’d shed a few tears, but quickly pull it together and start living the fast-paced college life. That wasn’t how it happened. I was that hysterical freshman when Mom drove off, and those feelings still haven’t completely faded away. It didn’t hit me until it was too late that my mom, the woman who taught me just about everything I know from how to tie my shoes to how to balance my checkbook and everything in between, was going to be more than just a few doors down the hall. Sure, only a phone call away but a phone call isn’t a hug.

It’s not just that I miss my mom, the lady who makes me sandwiches for lunch and does my laundry when I’m at home. I miss the woman that my mom is – the woman I just started to get to know before I came to college.

Of course my mom will always be just that: my mom. But she’s so much more than that. She is the most inspirational and admirable woman I know, and I couldn’t ask for more than to be just like her. She taught me by her actions and not by her words; she is humble, poised, graceful and she bakes the best chocolate chip cookies.

I wish I had taken the time to get to know her sooner, and that there were some way she could make it here for Moms Day weekend. But that’s not going to happen and this weekend won’t be all that different for me than any other mom-less weekend. I’ll just end up calling my mom to tell her how grateful I am to have her in my life, even if she is thirteen hours away.

But for all of you who do have your moms here for the weekend, soak it up and by all means, don’t take it for granted. Let her know how much you love her and how important she is to you. I think I speak for the other mom-less kids when I say I would love to have that chance. Take her out to lunch and go to one of those cute and semi-cheesy events the Moms and Dads Association put together.

And for those of you who are in the same boat as me, just think: summer is only a few weeks away. If that doesn’t get you through the weekend, maybe I’ll see you at Blockbuster.