Reasons why mom means so much to me

By Liz Kalkowski

The best, most comfortable, most reliable relationships are often strongest. This holds true for many of my closest friends and family members. But so much of the time, the people you care about most seem taken for granted. They don’t hear enough how much you care about them. One of those people in my life is my mom.

I do my best to tell the people in my life that I love them. Some would say more than most people. But I think that sometimes these people deserve more. Namely, my mom.

My mom and I have always been really close. I’ve never had an older sister, so she’s been the one I’ve gone to for advice and problems. Unlike a lot of students I know, I look forward to Moms Weekend because it’s time that we actually get to spend together, especially now that I’m at school. And this is completely corny, I know, but the following is a list of as many reasons as I can currently come up with as to why I love her and am happy to spend Moms Day with her:

1. She comes running when my sister and I come home from school. She’s usually in the kitchen making a dinner that we’ve requested for our break and literally runs to give us a hug. It always makes us feel special, and her hugs are a bonus. This is something I adore about my mom, so it makes the list.

2. My mom went to U of I and has so many good memories to share. She knows how to connect with me — and also respects me for what happens in college. She likes reminiscing about her time on campus, but doesn’t relive the glory days when she visits. I really respect this about her. Not that there’s anything wrong with thosemoms who like to get wasted at campus establishments.

3. She spoils me beyond belief. Two years ago, the weather was rainy and we didn’t have much to do … so we went to the mall. Everyone and their mother was there. Literally. But she doesn’t think twice about spending money on me. I’m so struck by her generosity. My mom rarely bought things for herself. She never had new clothes, never went out with friends … And yet, I get the clothes. And the groceries. And the new phone. And more groceries.

4. She loved Garcia’s pizza. I don’t know how many times I have heard about ‘gutbusters’ … Come to mention it, how many times I’ve actually eaten there. But I appreciate that my mom and I are able to share eateries or fight songs.

5. My mom (and my dad) is teaching me financial responsibility. As much as I don’t want to face the serious sides of growing up, it’s really worth it. And I will never be able to thank her enough for going back to work to help me afford the expenses of college.

6. When one of my sorority sisters passed away last fall, my mom offered to take work off so she could come down and stay with me.

7. My mom always drives us back to school. She makes all sorts of sacrifices for my sisters and me, and there’s no exception for the drive between our Chicago suburb and Champaign.

8. She pays attention to the details. She mailed me a note for Valentine’s Day — even though I had spoken to her the day before. She sent flowers when I was initiated into my sorority. She stuck a bottle of champagne in my bag after my 21st birthday. She always sends down leftovers.

9. My mom says what she thinks. Her honesty is refreshing without being hurtful. She’ll say that she’s too old for Facebook and doesn’t want to stalk me, and I’ll respect her feedback. When she doesn’t want to go to the craft show for Moms Weekend, I’ll respect her feedback. When she says that I’m doing something wrong or have handled a situation poorly, I’ll respect her feedback.

10. She has always been 100 percent completely encouraging of me in everything I do. My mom has always told me that so long as I did my best at everything, she’d be proud. She was so proud when I decided to come to school here. She was so proud when I was selected to be editor. But I think it’s mutual. I’m proud of everything she’s become and she’s taught me. If I could come close to being like my mom, I’ll be proud.