Relax, stay in with your adoring mom

By Andrew Maloney

Moms Weekend is coming up, and for those of you who have mothers making the pilgrimage to Chambanaland, you might be starting to wonder how you can maximize your time to make sure she enjoys her visit. Sadly, I can’t help you with that. I’ll just admit that I’m a terrible planner, and for those of…Moms Weekend is coming up, and for those of you who have mothers making the pilgrimage to Chambanaland, you might be starting to wonder how you can maximize your time to make sure she enjoys her visit.

Sadly, I can’t help you with that.

I’ll just admit that I’m a terrible planner, and for those of you who may have been looking for a comprehensive opinion of all the Moms Weekend activities on campus, I’m useless.

The good news though is that it’s your mom who’s visiting — not your friend who attends a commuter college near Disney World. She’s going to enjoy your company even if you both just end up watching “House” reruns or the Food Network for two days.

Your mom isn’t expecting the most action-packed weekend ever. In fact, if she’s anything like the mothers I’m familiar with, she’ll be happy enough to know that you’re still enrolled, still alive, and still kickin’. So don’t get too bogged down trying to find out about special events going on around campus.

But also please don’t hate me too much if I’m undermining your hard work planning an action-packed Mom’s Weekend.

This past weekend, my mom was worried that I’d forgotten my cell phone charger again after I left it at home during spring break. “I get worried if your phone isn’t charged. Then I can’t call and nag you.”

(That was the gist of what she said. You would think working for a newspaper would improve my ability to remember quotes off the top of my head. Unfortunately, no, it hasn’t)

To show me how worried she was, she not only brought me the charger, but included with it a tray of assorted homemade cookies and Chex Mix. The extra garlic-y kind. I go through bags of it like a knife goes through butter, or a chain smoker goes through Menthols.

Now if you’re keeping score at home, don’t be confused. I did absolutely nothing to earn that kind of treatment. In the “real world,” losing a vital component to your mobile device doesn’t typically yield baked goods.

But that’s what’s so amazing about my mom. She could have easily just let me buy my own cookies or burn the battery in my vehicle by using a car-charger. But she went out of her way to make sure I didn’t have to, and she didn’t expect anything in return. That’s why mothers deserve at least one weekend during the school year devoted to them. They’ll appreciate it, even if you’re not attending every single mom-themed event on campus.

As an appendage to my example, I’d like to personally thank my mom for the countless other times she sent me food, gave me advice, or kept me from getting pummeled by my older brother. Mom, feel free to “nag” me whenever you want.