Campus activities for you and Mom

By Rosie Powers

With Moms Day Weekend approaching, some University students may be wondering what to do with their moms., Champaign-Urbana has many activities available to keep Mom happy.

1. Get Mom into some Illini Spirit and teach mom about your school. The University is sponsoring this new event for the Mom’s kick-off event titled “Explore Illinois” on Friday from 5:30-7:30 p.m. in the Illini Union South Lounge and Illini Union rooms A, B and C.
  2. Does your Mom like flowers? Come out and smell the roses when The Horticulture Club is sponsoring a Mom’s Day Flower show on Saturday from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. in the University’s Stock Pavilion.
  3. If Mom is into theater and musicals, the Illini Union Board spring musical is West Side Story. The performance will be held on Friday at 7 p.m. in Assembly Hall.
  4. In the mood for a game of baseball? The Illini baseball team is facing Minnesota on Friday at 6 p.m. and Sunday at noon in Champaign.
  5. If you and your mom would enjoy an enlightening cultural experience, the College of Fine and Applied Arts is sponsoring a Spring Open House at the Japan House (2000 S. Lincoln Ave., Urbana). The event will also feature speaker Richard Kaiser, owner of a renowned Milwaukee Japanese restaurant, as well as food samples.
  6. If you want a good breakfast, the College of Applied Health Sciences is sponsoring a Mom’s Day Open House on Saturday from 9:30-11 a.m. in 112 Huff Hall (1206 Fourth St., Champaign).
  7. Moms and their families are welcome to meet the Dean’s staff and learn evenmore about their student’s program of study.
  8. If your mom enjoys crafting, there is a Mom’s Day Craft Fair sponsored by the Illini Union Board on Saturday from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. in the Illini Union.
  9. After a full day of activities, you and your mom may be in the mood for a good meal. Try dinner at Flat Top, 607 S. Sixth St., for a sizzling make-you-own stir fry in a warm, comfortable setting right off of Green Street.
  10. If you and your mom want to enjoy the spring weather, you can come support and cheer on the Illini Women’s softball team as they face off against Michigan at Eichelberger Field at 2 p.m. on Sunday.
  11. And last but not least, if you’re wanting to take your mom out for a good time at the bar scene, Kam’s, 618 Daniel St., Champaign, has $5 pitchers on Friday, and Joe’s Brewery, 706 Fifth St., Champaign, has $2 U-CALL-ITs all weekend.