Illini women’s tennis sweeps Spartans

By Rosalind Dumlao

Illinois’ 7-0 sweep over Michigan State and Michigan’s 5-2 win against Indiana on Saturday afternoon set up a final showdown for second place in the Big Ten standings Sunday at the Atkins Tennis Center.

The Orange and Blue started off slow in doubles against the Spartans, but the No. 33 Illini came bouncing back to sweep all three matches to take the doubles point and never looked back. Illinois cruised in singles play, taking all six matches in straight sets.

“We started off a little sluggish in the doubles, and that can’t happen tomorrow,” Illinois head coach Michelle Dasso said. “But I was pretty happy with the way we started from start to finish at singles. “

Senior Shivani Dave played one of her last two matches of the regular season as an Illini, downing Lindsey Lonerjan 6-0, 6-3. The lone senior will be recognized before Sunday’s home finale.

“One of the highlights of the day (was) Shivani Dave,” Dasso said. “Going out there, getting it done in pretty quick straight sets, it’s always exciting to get a senior play that well on senior weekend.”

The No. 33 Illini (17-5, 8-1) and the No. 18 Wolverines (14-5, 8-1) currently stand in a second-place tie behind the Northwestern Wildcats, who remain undefeated.

“We’re ready to go,” Dasso said. “We’re ready and prepared. One thing I can promise about tomorrow is that we’re going to give it everything we have, and we’re going to come out there, and we’re going to play with some energy.”