Q: What happens when I get sick?

While living on a college campus isn’t really being out in the so-called “real world,” you are going to have to start taking care of yourself.

Before coming to campus, make sure you can set up their own doctor or dentist appointments. There is a good chance that you will get sick sometime while on campus, and it is important that you can rely on yourself to set up and make it to any appointments.

You should start keeping track of when different appointments should be—whether it’s a teeth cleaning or an annual physical.

While thinking about doctors, make sure you have all your immunizations up to date before arriving at campus.

It’s required by state that students submit documentation of immunizations against measles, mumps, rubella and tetanus. If there is no documentation, you may not be able to register for classes.

McKinley Health Center on campus also suggests getting the influenza vaccine in the fall and the meningitis vaccine. McKinley offers free flu vaccines to students, so convince you to trek across campus in the fall to avoid getting the flu.

There have been some cases of meningitis on campus in the past, and quite a few students get the flu every year during the winter months. The flu and other illnesses are disruptive to class time and studying, especially around finals time.

Living in close quarters of a college campus and sharing community bathrooms gives ample contact to spread germs and disease, so make sure you are up to date on any immunizations.