Q: What’s there to do for Moms and Dads Weekends?

As you may or may not know, one weekend in the fall is Dads Weekend and one weekend in the spring is Moms Weekend.

If you don’t know what these weekends are, it is a time when mothers and fathers come to campus for the weekend to spend time with their son or daughter.

Dads Weekend is in the fall and attending tailgating parties and the football game is a popular option. The next couple days are spent touring campus, eating, maybe going to the bars together and spending money on shopping, food, etc.

Moms Weekend is in the spring, and there are a few different options to spend the weekend. There’s the annual play, the flower show, and then of course touring campus, eating, maybe going to the bars together and spending money on shopping, food, etc.

Let me tell you now, campus is very crowded during both of these weekends, and hotels fill fast.

Dads Weekend 2009 takes place Nov. 13-15 and 2010 is 22-24. Moms Weekend 2010 is April 16-18 and 2011 is April 8-10.

Some parents come just for one day, so they don’t have to deal with the headache of searching for hotels. If your mom, dad or both do choose to come for the weekend, tell them to start looking now for hotels. Also, you may want to suggest for your parents to talk to parents of your friends who also go to U of I. Sharing a hotel room cuts down on costs.