June 1: Plan a visit during summer vacation

Orientation is packed with events without nearly enough time to see the entire University and accomplish tasks that can only be take care of while on campus. What you should do is plan a visit on a day when you have ample time to explore campus and it all it has to offer. Sample a few of the local eateries and start getting a taste for Campustown food. Try to arrange a meeting with the dean of your college or the head of your department. Visit the residence hall you’ll be living in and get a feel for how long it will take you to get to class. And, maybe most importantly, walk your schedule.

Just like in high school, freshmen are easy to spot a mile away. They walk around the Quad with giant maps and venture aimlessly at night in large groups looking for the parties they have heard so much about. We’ve all been there, but you can at least avoid the first stereotype by taking the time to visit all the buildings your classes are in. It would be wise as well to actually try to find the classroom because many of the buildings are a labyrinth of stairways and corridors that don’t always lead to rooms you expected them to.

Orientation is a great day to register for classes, maybe meet a few people and talk to your adviser. But in less than a day, you won’t really get a feel for the University. Explore campus on your own and begin to get connected with your home for the next four years.