Davis’ ‘arrest’ probably situation of identity fraud

Former Illini football player Vontae Davis’ name appeared in a June 11 Champaign Police Department report.

The report said that, on June 9 in Champaign, a man named Vontae Ottis Davis with an address of 920 Emerson Street in Washington, D.C. was arrested for unnecessary vehicular noise and driving without a valid license. He was given a notice to appear. Both the name and address match those of the former Illini star.

The South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that Davis and his current team, the Miami Dolphins, said that Davis was in Miami for organized team activities (OTAs) on June 9 and 10.

“I talked to Vontae,” Harvey Greene, Dolphins senior vice president of media relations, told the Sun-Sentinel. “And he told me he was here all day on June 9. It was an OTA day, followed by a rookie symposium that we know kept him in the building until at least 3:30 (p.m.). There was no way he could have been in Illinois at 6:40 (p.m.) or whenever that happened.”

The incident occurred at 6:47 p.m. The report summary said the stop was a “Terry Stop,” which Champaign Police Department spokesperson Rene Dunn defined as a routine traffic stop.

Davis told the Sun-Sentinel that his wallet was stolen before leaving Champaign and that he canceled his credit cards after his wallet was stolen. Davis said it is possible that someone is still using his driver’s license as a form of identification.

On Wednesday afternoon, the Champaign Police Department issued the following statement:

“On 6/9/09, Champaign Police officers stopped a vehicle for a city ordinance violation, loud music. The driver presented a Washington, D.C. driver’s license representing him to be Vontae O. Davis, DOB: 5/27/88. The driver was issued a summons for the ordinance violation and a traffic citation and released at the scene.

On June 23, 2009, a representative for Vontae Davis contacted the Champaign Police Department regarding the citation and reported that Mr. Davis denied having had contact with our department, or having been in Champaign, Illinois on June 9, 2009. The Champaign Police Department agreed to investigate his assertions, as well as re-examine evidence available from the original traffic stop. The preliminary findings suggest that Mr. Davis’ statements have sufficient credence that the Champaign County State Attorney’s office and the City of Champaign Attorney’s office have been contacted and asked to delay any further proceedings in this matter, until the Champaign Police department completes a follow up investigation.”

Davis is a rookie cornerback for the Dolphins, who chose him with the 25th overall pick in the first round of the NFL Draft in April.

In an earlier story, The Daily Illini incorrectly reported that former Illini football player Vontae Davis was at the scene and arrested. The Daily Illini regrets the error.